We gave away baseball cards for Halloween again this year. It’s something we’ve been doing for a number of years… If you’d like more details about what we do, you can see the post I wrote last year here.
This year, we gave away 20 homemade packs of 28 cards each, for a total of 560 cards. It’s fun to give out cards for Halloween… The kids enjoy it, they get some decent cards – I make sure every pack has at least two household names in it – and I get unwanted cards out of the house. Winners all around.
Lesson learned this year: Putting the All-Star cards from Topps Update on the top of each “pack” just confuses the kids who are trying to pick as best they can within 5 seconds. I could have a stack of cards of Robinson Cano and Derek Jeter in American League BP jerseys, and they’ll ask “Excuse me, do you have any Yankees?”
As long as I’m talking about getting cards out of the house, I feel obligated to do a “weigh-in”, something I haven’t done in 9 months. Posting my progress in organizing & purging helps with both motivation (if I do well) and guilt (if I don’t). I used to do these weekly, then I told myself I’d do them monthly, then I told myself I’d do them quarterly. You can see how much I listen to myself.
Just so I don’t publish an image-free post, I’ve scattered some completely unrelated Fairfield repack acquisitions among my stats.
Net change in the collection since 2/3/13: -448 (2,505 added, 2,953 purged – I need to step up the purging)
Total # of cards purged from the collection to date: 6,447
Net change to the # of cards in the house since 2/3: -4,268 (4,642 in, 8,910 out)
Total # of cards which have left the house to date: 22,598 (It’s sobering every time I update this number, because it seems like it must be a small fraction of what I actually have)
Number of individual cards tracked in my Access database: 47,022 (up from 20,418… and the organization continues…)