Posting a quarterly update on my progress in organizing and purging helps me in a number of ways. It gives me an opportunity to look at the big picture, and helps with both motivation (if I do well) and guilt (if I don’t). I know it’s not the most exciting post, but I’ve added arbitrarily-chosen cards from my collection, and more importantly, you won’t see another post like this until January.
The numbers here reflect changes since July 5th…
Net change in the collection since 7/5/14: -785 (1066 added, 1851 purged)
In terms of quantity, the biggest addition was a 2014 Topps baseball factory set. The biggest subtractions involved purging cards from 1988 Fleer, 1989 Topps, 1990 Fleer and 1991 Line Drive Pre-Rookie.
Total # of cards purged from the collection to date: 10,430
Net change to the # of cards in the house since 7/5/14: +862 (2195 in, 1333 out)
The general idea is to get the number of cards in the house going down, but I’m not concerned because part of this is timing; I’ve got a large amount of cards ready to leave the house, and I could’ve waited until after those are gone, but I wanted to stick to the “every quarter” format I’ve fallen in to.
Total # of cards which have left the house to date: 35,108
Number of individual cards tracked in my Access database: 49,364
Number of cards that make up the sets flagged as completed in my Access database: 17,623
…which means I’ve got at least 66,987 cards in my collection.